Friday, March 18, 2011

Jeremiah 30:17

As I am sure you have read, we were given the opportunity to visit a hospital today.

I was especially anticipating this because of the profession I am going into, nursing.

I went into the experience with an open heart and an open mind.

We all split into groups and I got to go with one of the missionaries Alisa.
We went to the woman's ward and ped's.
This is one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had. The nurses were absent, only to give meds and start iv's. The family of the patient was expected to feed and bathe the patient. The family is essentially the care giver not the nurse. Working where I do it was extremely hard for me to wrap my head around this concept. At home, a nurse cares, feeds, clothes and takes care of all of the health needs of the patient among many other things.


My first thought was what if these people do not have family?

My second thought was we are so blessed to live in America and have the health care that we do.

Third thought, I love my job, and this experience has only made me stronger and more eager to take care of others.

God has challenged me in many ways on this mission trip.
This trip to the hospital was a challenge. When you know what is right, and what is correct it becomes very easy to critique the situation. I kept noticing how dirty things were, causing the patients to become sicker. I noticed a patient's IV was infected probably because it was not clean properly before it was inserted. I noticed fevers and suffering that was extremely unnecessary.

My heart truly hurt for these people as we held their hands and prayed with them.
How humble they were, and how hopeless I felt. I wanted to take all of their pain away so badly.

One woman was laying in bed, no sheets just a small blanket. She was dying. She had no family and was obviously starving. There was no one around to ask what was wrong with her so we asked her ourselves and she promptly pointed to many places on her body that was hurting. I think she had cancer. I found myself looking around for SOMEONE, anyone that could help this woman. In my heart I felt like God was tugging at me. I listened and prayed with her. God was that someone that she needed.
We knelt down next to her and asked her if she knew Jesus. She replied no. We then proceeded to ask her if we could pray for her, she said yes. By the end of our prayer this woman knew Jesus. I could see it in her eyes. She was a believer.

Alisa and I made our rounds and saw many other people, everyone had a special place in my heart and I will never forget this day. My heart is forever ruined in the best way.

We walked outside and waited while the others finished up. as we were visiting about our encounters and woman walked by, smiling from ear to ear. I thought to myself, "that was odd" Most women here, I have come to find, will not smile often and rarely even make eye contact.
This woman was dressed and had a spring in her step.
After she had passed tears filled my eyes when I realized that was the frail sick woman that was in the women's ward that we had prayed with not thirty minutes ago.
I believe that God healed her, because I am a believer.
I believe that she was my own personal angel, from God that touched my life today.

I did not take any pictures. Did not get any videos. I do not need them because I will never forget this.


Jeremiah 30:17
"But I will restore your health and heal your wounds" declares the LORD





LOVE YOU GUYS!

-Haley

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haley,
    There are really no more words needed here.You have been blessed with so many special gifts since this journey began. One being that you recognize a miracle when it happens and now the ability to share, in words, your experience so that other's can benefit. What an example you are setting for not only your family but for so many other people that will read this blog and that you have come in contact with. As your mother, I am humbly proud (can you be proud and humble at the same time?) of you, and can't wait to hear more of your experiences. Thank you to everyone that has helped you and supported you on this mission! It has been money well spent!! Thank you to Julie (my niece) and Charlie (my nephew) for being an example to our family and to Haley! Grandma Bebe would be proud of you all! Acts 6:4 "But we will give ourselves continually to prayer and to the ministry of the word". Love, Mom (Audra)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, there's nothing sadder than a woman suffering and dying of cancer all alone. And there's nothing more joyful than bringing hope to a hopeless person and helping them find Jesus. Now she has a reason for living and has eternity in her heart! She no longer has to be alone in her suffering, and, most importantly, no longer is alone in her death! This story brings tears of joy to my eyes and reminds me today of Gods purpose for my life. Thank you for allowing God to use you in an amazing way!
    Tiffany (Julie's friend)

    ReplyDelete